There comes a time when the ball joints must be replaced on your jeep. Perhaps the steering has started to pull, or vibration has started when you slow down. Maybe you have noticed one side of your tire wearing faster than the rest. These are all signs of a failing ball joint. An issue that can quickly become costly and dangerous. The following article can serve as a guide and review of the best ball joints for Jeep JK.
It is packed with product review and information that can be important to any future ball joint customer. Learning the best quality made and how technologies can improve the performance of your safety are key ways to make a smart purchase. As these parts are part of scheduled vehicle maintenance, there is a great chance you are already in the position to be looking for a new single ball joint, or maybe an entire set. Enjoy the review and see which of these products are best for you.
Our Best Selection!
- 1 Top Rated Ball Joints for Jeep JK Comparison:
- 2 5 Best Ball Joints for Jeep JK Review [Sep. New Edition]
- 3 1. Moog K80026 Ball Joint – Top Rated Ball Joints for Jeep
- 4 2. TeraFlex 3442002 HD JK Ball Joints
- 5 3. TeraFlex 3442022 JK Dana 30/44 Complete Knurled Ball Joint Set
- 6 4. Dynatrac CR92-2X3050-A Pro Steer Ball Joints 2003-2012
- 7 5. Moog K6541 Ball Joint – Cheap Ball Joint for Jeep
- 8 Informed Buyers Guide for Best Jeep Ball Joints
- 9 Things to Keep in Mind When Buying Perfect Jeep Ball Joints:
- 10 Verifying the correct fit
- 11 Choosing a quality design
- 12 Pick Quality Materials
- 13 High Resistance Coatings
- 14 When to Purchase New Ball Joints
- 15 Choosing a Mechanic or Tools
- 16 How to Replace Ball Joints ( Practical Video Overview )
- 17 Final Review
- 18 Share this:
- 19 Related
Top Rated Ball Joints for Jeep JK Comparison:
|Moog K80026 Ball Joint||Moog||1.4 pounds||0.6 x 1.6 x 0.6 inches||Check on Amazon|
|TeraFlex 3442002 HD JK Ball Joints||Teraflex||4.8 pounds||9 x 4.5 x 3.2 inches||Check on Amazon|
|TeraFlex 3442022 Ball Joint Set||Teraflex||5.85 pounds||6 x 6 x 5.5 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Dynatrac CR92-2X3050-A Ball Joints||Dynatrac-Heavy||8.25 pounds||6 x 6 x 5.5 inches||Check on Amazon|
|Moog K6541 Ball Joint -||Moog||1.43 pounds||5.2 x 3.4 x 2.8 inches||Check on Amazon|
5 Best Ball Joints for Jeep JK Review [Sep. New Edition]
1. Moog K80026 Ball Joint – Top Rated Ball Joints for Jeep
The full ball metal stud provides 36 degrees of smooth, consistent, and rotational movement resulting in more responsive steering. I also appreciate knowing that these ball joints are equipped with the Problem Solver powdered-metal gusher bearing design. This enables grease to flow through the bearing and toward the stud. The socket design allows new lubricants to flush out contaminants.
It is also important to note that this product reduces corrosion and wear, and reduces friction. Loose or worn chassis parts will lead to premature tire wear but these ball joints enhance strength and stability. Further, an oversized housing reduces risks to the loosened ball joint fits caused by an enlarges ball joint receptacle in the control arm.
“Related Post: Top Rated Rough Country Lift Kit Review 2019″
- It can be used on both 2- and 4- wheel drive vehicles
- It has Problem Solver bearing design
- Adds strength and stability to your framework
- Has an oversized housing unit to protect the ball connection
- Made of forged and hardened materials for strength
- Zerk fitting doesn’t always clear the U-joint
- Depending on the retailer, all parts may not come in the package
- On 4x4s installing while grease fitting is in place may result in interference to axle U-joint hub
2. TeraFlex 3442002 HD JK Ball Joints
One advantage the Teraflex ball joints have is that they are easily greaseable and adjustable. This will help with maintenance and longevity. Stability and wheel weight loads can also be supported by the correct adjustments.
Another great benefit is the 4140 Chrome Moly design. The strong alloy offers strengthening agents to produce a balance of strength, toughness, and wear resistance.
A halting drawback for your option could be the year of your vehicle. 2013 and newer vehicles will require you to modify (grind) the axle shaft for installation.
- Built out of 4140 Chrome Moly adding to the strength and durability
- Comes with a Lifetime warranty
- Can be greased and adjusted to stabilize weight loads
- Almost universal on Jeep Wrangler JK/JKU models
- Requires axle modification on 2013 and newer models.
- Only fits JK models 07-12
3. TeraFlex 3442022 JK Dana 30/44 Complete Knurled Ball Joint Set
The Dana Complete Set is crafted using heat treatment. 4140 Chrome Moly is used for the ball stud where 1045 carbon steel is used for the housing. These are excellent high-quality parts that provide long-lasting durability.
If your trying to avoid the death wobble this may also be a great choice as it features extremely hard sintered wear bushings. These allow for safe handling of extreme side load demands with little risk to failure.
Lastly, this TeraFlex ball joint set offers a factory-style serrated flange and grease fitting. Easy maintenance and installation are also key features of the complete knurled set. The knurling is ideal for older Jeeps.
- Fittings are greased
- Can handle extreme side loads
- Heat-treated 4140/1045 craftsmanship gives stability and longevity
- Helps with wobble issues
- Has an anti-corrosion coating of magnesium phosphate
- No package details on installation instructions
- Grease fittings may be different from advertised causing issues with axle function
- May not come with bottom boots
4. Dynatrac CR92-2X3050-A Pro Steer Ball Joints 2003-2012
This top-selling best ball joint set comes with a full manufacturer warranty and fits multiple males and models making it a favorite among ball joint customers. Simply contacting the seller will let you share vehicle information to find a compatible product for your vehicle.
The Dynatrac also is a complete set. It is stocked with 4 ball joints and needed accessories. Warranty information is available and can be obtained through the seller.
One of the heavier kits in this review, this Dynotrac ball joints kit weighs around 8.25 pounds. It is ideal for Dodge Ram 2500s and 3500 4x4s made between the years of 2003 through 2012.
Other kits of this style are available for other vehicles. Jeep Wrangler JK and Dynatrac Pro 60 Knuckles are also available to review.
The best feature for the Dynotrac ball joints is that they can be rebuilt. With simple hand tools, repairs can be made while they are still on the vehicle. This allows for improved safety, handling, and drivability when properly maintained.
- Pro Steer technology increasing safety features
- Universal on Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks
- Can be repaired while still on the vehicle
- Great quality with straight forward installation instructions
- Comes with full manufacturer warranty
- Warranty information is unknown without contacting the seller
- This particular product is for Dodge vehicles only
5. Moog K6541 Ball Joint – Cheap Ball Joint for Jeep
It is built with a full ball metal stud and provides 36 degrees of consistent rotational movement allowing for more responsive steering.
This ball joint does include a Belleville washer preload that provides lower torque and stud articulation with minimal clearance needed at the axle. Further, the housing is oversized to ensure a better fit.
New lubricants are allowed to flush contaminants from the assembly through the greaseable socket design. This reduces the corrosion and eases the wear. The Problem Solver powdered metal gusher bearing design also reduces friction and enhances the strength and stability of your vehicle.
The Moog K6541 is compatible with Cadillac, Chevy, and GMCs.
- Equipped with Problem Solver bearing design.
- Smooth rotational movement.
- Oversized housing for a more secure fit.
- Belleville washer preload
- Gets rid of more radial and axial movement
- Only compatible with Cadillac, Chevy, and GMC
- Not a complete set, must purchase multiple ball joints to replace them all
Informed Buyers Guide for Best Jeep Ball Joints
When buying new ball joints for your Jeep or any other vehicle it is important to remember how important the tiny part is. Its function is to help support the weight and is this pivot point between the suspension and wheels. They take a considerable amount of stress and when buying new ball joints, you will want to make sure they are strong and durable. Keeping up to date services on your Jeep JK will keep it running stable and safe on any terrain.
Things to Keep in Mind When Buying Perfect Jeep Ball Joints:
Verifying the correct fit
Inside your owner’s manual or the factory website you can find the part number for your ball joints. With this information is also the answer to if your Jeep has upper, lower, or just one on each side. These parts are different and will not be compatible if they are incorrect.
Choosing a quality design
Learning the construction of the ball joints and the qualities of their design is also an important part of buying a great new Jeep ball joint. Making sure they go the distance with the best bearings, springs, washers, housing, and end covers are just as important as the ball stud.
Pick Quality Materials
Picking products that have been created with hardened steel or other heavy-duty products will protect against wear with superior resistance.
High Resistance Coatings
You will benefit greatly from picking these products as they will protect the part from corrosion that may be caused by contaminants.
When to Purchase New Ball Joints
There will be a few obvious symptoms that it is time for new ball joints. Uneven tire wear is a good indicator as the defective part is not allowing the wheel to operate functionally. A sudden pulling or abnormal steering problem could also be a sign of a bad ball joint. A third symptom is a knocking noise. This noise comes specifically when going over bumps. Other symptoms could include excessive vibration coming from the front of the vehicle.
Aside from the signs that something has gone wrong, it also a great idea to replace them as part of regular maintenance around 70-150k miles. A failed ball joint will begin to cause serious complications in steering and suspension. Failure to resolve these issues could ultimately result in the wheel dramatically falling off the vehicle.
Choosing a Mechanic or Tools
Replacing the ball joints are not the simplest of jobs. An experienced mechanic can make very quick work of them and many friends may tell you that it can be done in the driveway. Always evaluate your skills and decide responsibly if you are capable of replacing ball joints.
If you’re ready to attempt a replacement yourself, you may want to grab a few tools while purchasing your new Jeep ball joints. A spreader may be needed in case the ball joint has seized. The assembly is almost impossible to separate otherwise. A cleaner such as WD 40 is recommended to soak bolts in. Proper size wrenches and as well as an Allen wrench is also going to be needed. Depending on the set you choose, grease may also be a necessity in installing your new ball joint.
Local parts stores are also great places to seek advice on parts or tools. A clerk that has been at a store a long time has helped many customers and can also give inside advice that only an experienced installer would know.
How to Replace Ball Joints ( Practical Video Overview )
After reviewing the 5 best ball joints for Jeep JK and learning the proper techniques to shop, I can confidently say that the Dynotrac complete set is the purchase I would choose. The lifetime warranty is a great start in deciding, but I really like the structural strength in the material they chose. I also really liked the idea of being able to work on them without having to remove the ball joints from the vehicle.
The hardened steel makes me comfortable in knowing my suspension, steering, and Jeep, in general, is safe on the highways, hills, or mud pits. I hear from a lot of my Jeep friends that the death wobble is a constant worry. This ball joint has been proven to fix the problem and that too makes this the best of the top 5 ball joints to buy for your Jeep.