Who doesn’t want to be risk-free while riding in a vehicle? The answer should be everyone who seeks safe driving. When you are in the driver’s seat, certain things must be considered to ensure safety. Among them, a top-notch and functional brake system is the first and foremost. Brake calipers are the housing of your brakes. Therefore, choosing the best brake calipers is mandatory for an effective application of the brake. It helps you slow down your vehicle when needed.
Containing three parts, which are brake rotors, brake pads, and brake calipers, the brake is a vital part of any vehicle. When the driver hits the brake pedal, a continuous hydraulic pressure runs through the caliper’s brake line. As a result, calipers pressure on the rotors until the vehicle stops. Without a brake caliper, the brake system is nonfunctional.
From your reading above, you get the idea about a brake caliper’s importance, don’t you? If you do, then you have to be careful when choosing the high-quality brake caliper. In that case, it takes a lot of time and labor to find out the best one. Don’t worry. We get your back as we have done enough research on Brake Calipers. Take a look at our following research. We have enlisted some aftermarket brake calipers to satisfy your needs.
Amazon Recommended Brake Calipers!
- 1 Top 10 Best Brake Calipers (In-Depth Reviews)
- 2 1. Callahan Brake Parts Premium Grade OE Semi-Loaded Calipers
- 3 Pros
- 4 Cons
- 5 2. ACDelco Professional Front Side Disc Brake Caliper
- 6 Pros
- 7 Cons
- 8 3. Power Stop Performance Caliper
- 9 Pros
- 10 Cons
- 11 4. Cardone 18-B4363 Remanufactured Domestic Friction Ready Brake Caliper
- 12 Pros
- 13 Cons
- 14 5. Power Stop KC6075 Z23 Evolution Sport Performance 1-Click Brake Kit with Caliper
- 15 Pros
- 16 Cons
- 17 6. Power Stop Truck and Tow Z36 Front/Rear Brake Pad, Rotor, and Caliper Kit
- 18 Pros
- 19 Cons
- 20 7. Wilwood Red D52 GM Brake Calipers & Pads
- 21 Pros
- 22 Cons
- 23 8. Raybestos FRC11879N Opti-Cal New Brake Caliper
- 24 Pros
- 25 Cons
- 26 9. Motorcraft BRCF-165 Disc Brake Caliper
- 27 Pros
- 28 Cons
- 29 10. MAYASAF 192712 192713 Brake Calipers Set
- 30 Pros
- 31 Cons
- 32 Benefits of Having High-Quality Brake Calipers
- 33 Things to Consider Before Buying Brake Calipers
- 34 Material
- 35 Lifespan
- 36 Types of Brake Calipers
- 37 New Vs Remanufactured (Brake Calipers)
- 38 Tips for Brake Calipers
- 39 Video Guide: How to Replace A Brake Caliper
- 40 How to Install Brake Calipers (Step-by-Step Process)
- 41 FAQ About Brake Calipers
- 42 Final Thoughts
- 43 Share this:
- 44 Related
Top 10 Best Brake Calipers (In-Depth Reviews)
1. Callahan Brake Parts Premium Grade OE Semi-Loaded Calipers
In order to minimize noise and dust buildup of your brake, Callahan’s brake calipers feature a tough material. Each one is manufactured with premium boots, seals, pins, bolts, and hardware for high-end quality. Plus, the bleeder screws come up with dust covers to withstand any dust buildup from entering the system.
For easy-going installation, the calipers offer a mounting bracket. That bracket also gives them a quite versatile look. They can either be mounted as replacements for the front calipers or the rear calipers to give you more benefits. In terms of performance brakes, they are a great improvement for your brake pads and help reduce the vehicle’s stopping time.
Nonetheless, we figure out some shortcomings. First, they lack powder-coated features. So they aren’t the best at standing against corrosion or rust. Secondly, they will only fit certain vehicles. That’s why you will need to make sure they befit your vehicle before buying them.
- Ensure a high-quality design and fit
- Includes pins and bleeder screw
- Original design ensures proper fit
- Rebuild with brand new units
- Calipers are tested to ensure safety
- Pressure tested to prevent spill out
2. ACDelco Professional Front Side Disc Brake Caliper
Wanna get one of the best brake caliper brands available in the market? Then the ACDelco brand is at your service. This product from ACDelco is dominating the market for being the best-rated calipers. The company undergoes pressure tests of each caliper to ensure efficient stopping power. For improving durability and reliability, the engineers develop each calipers with premium aluminum and iron castings.
In terms of better resistance to heat, corrosion, and leaks, ACDelco’s calipers are equipped with EPDM rubber components. The product comes with mounting brackets, hardware, and copper sealing washers. For this, the installation is straightforward and trouble-free.
Besides, brake pads are not included in the development of the calipers. Thus, It gives you more customization when it comes to putting them on by hand.
We have penned down some drawbacks to consider before buying. One is the included bolts, which are small in size and may not be the strongest. Plus, the head sizes are not the same. Secondly, the calipers are not powder coated or painted and come in a dull black color. It means they are vulnerable to rust and corrosion. Finally, do check if your vehicle matches this product as the product is vehicle-specific.
- Manufactured with top-rated iron and aluminum
- Equipped with EPDM rubber components to withstand rust and corrosion
- Upgraded with fixed brake pad
- Includes bleeder screw and mounting brackets
- Pressure inspected to ensure performance
- Customizable with brake pads
3. Power Stop Performance Caliper
Are you an enthusiast of Beauty? Do you want to add more color to your brake system? Then take a look at Power Stop Performance Caliper. Their sportive red color makes them look gorgeous behind your wheels. Besides, the caliper is adorned for its electrostatic powder-coat feature. It disallows any buildup of corrosion or rust.
Plus, the additional layer of paint improves their lifespan. In this way, it boosts the power of your entire brake system. Therefore, Power Stop is one of the best powder coating brake calipers.
In order to enhance the performance and lifespan, the feature mentioned above is not the only brake component. Also, it offers high-temperature EPDM rubber components and premium silicone lubrication on the caliper pins for better performance. Also, they install directly where the old calipers were placed.
That’s why upgrading to a new set is not troublesome. As the brake calipers add on a great stopping power, Power stop brake calipers can be a great option for the best brake calipers for trucks.
Despite ensuring more power and performance, their red color may come up with a drawback. As the red color attracts more dust and grime, you will have to clean them more often to keep them fresh and new. Asides from the facts, the price is higher compared to others. You can probably buy two separate calipers at a lower rate point than these.
- Electrostatic powder paint prevents corrosion and rust
- Ensures pressure tested to prevent leaks
- Brand new components including bleeder screw, hardware, and pins
- High-temperature EPDM rubber for extended lifespan
- Remanufactured in Chicago, IL facility
4. Cardone 18-B4363 Remanufactured Domestic Friction Ready Brake Caliper
To provide satisfaction to the customers, Cardone develops high-quality products. To meet or even surpass the OME performance, this friction caliper becomes one of the best manufactured brake pads. You can surely rely on it as it has gone through a 100% pressure test to prove the quality and guarantee safety.
To make the installation easy, they come with 100 percent SAE-specific rubber seals, copper washers. To help with the bleeding, they offer new bleeder screws. Besides, they also come with all the hardware you need for installation. A rust inhibitor is attached to help it retain its finish and prevent corrosion as well.
Most importantly, each caliper is 100 percent tested to ensure high-functioning and reliable components. The new rubber seals enhance the lifespan and improve performance. Plus, the all-inclusive hardware makes installation faster. So, you don’t have to look for substitute components or make use of old hardware.
To talk about the downsides, I assert these calipers are not brand new as they are remanufactured. They undergo extensive testing. Moreover, beauty lovers may not prefer it as they lack attractive looks and weather protection.
- Comes with the ethylene-propylene rubber seal
- New bleeder screws are provided for comfortable bleeding
- Rust inhibitor feature
- Silver weather-proof coating
- Gone through 100% inspection to ensure performance
5. Power Stop KC6075 Z23 Evolution Sport Performance 1-Click Brake Kit with Caliper
How about buying a caliper along with a rotor, brake pad from Power Stop? Yep, it will be a good idea. Why? You know, Power Stop is one of the top brake caliper brands in the automotive industry. They manufacture their products from top-rated materials to ensure quality undeniably. So, buying an all-inclusive product from them may please you. Besides, getting a complete package at a time will save you some time and money as well.
In order to assure you of an all-inclusive quality brake system, this KC6075 Z23 brake caliper kit comes with rotors, brake pads, calipers, and all hardware. With the combination of the calipers and rotors, the product stands out. The kit is designed to fit a Nissan Maxima of model 2009-2014 and 2016-2017.
Don’t worry. Power Stop manufactures a number of high performance brake kits, so if this one doesn’t fit your vehicle, you can still find a kit for your ride. Besides, Power Stop caliper kits are designed to ensure efficient performance. They’re top-of-the-list for enhancing your braking power, reducing dust, and improving the look of your car.
When it comes to the question of replacement calipers and rotors, this kit is ideal. Because it offers everything you need. Each included component is of top-class to ensure great performance and durability. The rotors are drilled and slotted with a zinc plating. The calipers are red powder-coated. The pads are proved low-dust through third-party testing to show a 30 percent decrease in dust versus OEM performance.
Nonetheless, you may come up with a downside. Buying an entire kit means you lose freedom over picking each component. For this reason, you may not be getting the best of the best for each component. It also won’t be the perfect setup for the performance of your vehicle. This kit is also made vehicle-specific. So, before purchasing, you’ll need to check if it works for your vehicle.
- Low dust braking proved through on-vehicle 3rd party tests
- To ensure the highest protection, Drilled and Slotted brake rotors are zinc plated
- The Silver Zinc Dichromate plating is applied to all drilled & slotted rotors
- Coated with easy to clean powder coating resists rust and corrosion and enhance the life of calipers
- Fit for Nissan Maxima 2014-2009 and 2017-2016
6. Power Stop Truck and Tow Z36 Front/Rear Brake Pad, Rotor, and Caliper Kit
Want to drive through mountains and hills, tow and haul another vehicle, maintaining safety? You are lucky because Power Stop has taken time to assemble the fabulous rotors, pads, and calipers for effective braking applications. Besides, For easy, bolt-on installation, this Power Stop kit comes with everything you want.
Being amazingly good in terms of quality and workability, Power Stop Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kits include cross-drilled and slotted rotors, red powder-coated brake calipers, and Z36 series carbon-ceramic brake pads. These features boost-off immunity against rust and corrosion.
Plus, the Power Stop brake kit comes with more pad bite for your truck or SUV than other esteemed brands. Thus, it becomes the top-notch brand developing the best brake calipers for trucks and heavy-duty vehicles.
The brake rotors and calipers look stunning behind stock or custom wheels. Plus, they perform better than stock as well. Every caliper and bracket is excellently remanufactured, lubricated, powder-coated red and pressure tested in Power Stop’s Chicago, IL facility. If you require a quick, simple, affordable replacement for better braking, go for this kit without hesitating.
- developed to take on the pressure of towing, hauling, mountainous driving, and lifted trucks.
- Assurance of Dust-free braking
- Z36 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic formula ensures superior braking performance
- Premium stainless steel shims safeguard extreme temperatures
- Drilled and slotted rotors keep your brakes cool even in the most unfriendly situations
- Bolt-on upgrade for stock brakes
7. Wilwood Red D52 GM Brake Calipers & Pads
Would you like to get your brake system adorned with style? Then Wilwood Red calipers get your back. These stylish red calipers come as a set of two for your rear wheels. Most interestingly, this model tends to be a global fit as it is compatible with different models, such as Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Jeep, and Pontiac. So, check your vehicle’s compatibility when making a purchase.
The product comes with two D52 calipers in red powder coating, BP-10 brake pads, and caliper slide bolts with sleeves. Not only the kit comes in red, but also available in a black powder coating.
For easy-going installation, the kit offers everything you need to install your new calipers. Besides, the forged billet aluminum gets protection for red powder coating. It also improves the look of your car. Moreover, you can use it on most of the OE wheels as it features global compatibility.
In terms of the downsides, the bright red color may not look good on all vehicles. Besides, their global compatibility may not give you the best service for a specific vehicle.
- Designed for both the rear wheels
- Provide a better brake system because of its matched group of components
- Comes in as a set of two for rear wheels
- Comes with two D52 calipers in red powder coating
- Features forged billet aluminum, stainless steel pistons to prevent rust
- BP-10 brake pads and slide bolts with sleeves
8. Raybestos FRC11879N Opti-Cal New Brake Caliper
Wanna take pleasure in the brand new manufactured components? Then Raybestos FRC11879N will be the best pick for you. The kit offers the most premium style. So, it will add an amazing and uncompetitive look to your brake system. As the kit is developed with 100% new and robust materials, it meets or exceeds OE specifications. Besides, it ensures durability and performance as well. So, it must demand a place in our best brake calipers review.
To fight with the corrosion in the harshest of elements, the manufacturers provide Zinc plating and aluminum. EPDM rubber components are also used to ensure more durability and performance. For this reason, it offers more corrosion heat resistance while braking.
For a safe and consistent performance after thousands of miles, the kit has sustained rigorous pressure tests. Plus, the friction-ready feature gives you more freedom in customizing the brake pads for each application.
The brand develops kits in three categories: super-premium, premium, professional. It is one of the best brake calipers for jeep wrangler, Dodge Grand Caravan, Dodge Nitro, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler JK, Ram C/V, Volkswagen Routan, etc.
Unfortunately, the Zinc plating is not used for professional kits. It means the professional calipers under this brand are more vulnerable to corrosion and rust.
- Designed to fit OE specifications
- Unparalleled style and performance is specially focused
- Zinc plating or aluminum provides corrosion heat resistance.
- Developed with 100% newly manufactured materials
9. Motorcraft BRCF-165 Disc Brake Caliper
Ensuring wide compatibility for Ford, Motorcraft Brake calipers are a great recommendation of the Ford Motor Company. Besides, the manufacturer tries hard to maximize performance and long-lasting durability.
This caliper is a good fit for the 2012-2014 Ford Edge 2.0L and the 2007 Lincoln MKX. Before committing to buy, you’ll need to ensure its compatibility with your vehicle. If it doesn’t match, don’t worry. Motorcraft develops plenty of calipers. You can choose the best fitting caliper for your vehicle.
You know Ford Motor Company has officially sanctioned Motorcraft calipers. So you can be sure of its quality. Plus, these meet OEM specifications. The installation is trouble-free. They offer a comprehensive warranty as well.
To speak of the contrasts, this is a single brake caliper. It doesn’t come with a brake pad or the hardware necessary for installation. For this, you have to buy everything separately. It lacks powder coating features too. So they lack in looks and corrosion resistance.
- Fittable with the 2012-2014 Ford Edge 2.0L and the 2007 Lincoln MKX
- Has the approval of Ford Motor Company
- Meet with OEM specifications
- The caliper is unloaded
10. MAYASAF 192712 192713 Brake Calipers Set
Looking for brand-new premium quality calipers? Then this is for you. The MAYASAF brand develops products with high-end materials to ensure OE-quality. Their premium materials have gone through multiple tests. That is why the kit guarantees longevity, durability as well. To some extent, this great kit surpasses the OE standards and quality.
For stress-free installation, the kit is a direct replacement for your stock calipers. It ensures no extra labors on the brake booster mounting. Besides, all the hardware, pins, and bleeder screws. Thus you don’t need to take pain in buying them separately.
The kit is a precise fit for Toyota 4Runner 2003 to 2005, Toyota Sequoia 2001 to 2007, and Toyota Tundra 2000 to 2006 models. So do check your vehicle’s compatibility when committed to purchasing.
To talk about the demerits, I state the kit has an objection according to our research. It seems the casting is slightly larger than the one on the original caliper.
- A direct replacement for stock caliper
- Exceeds the OE specifications
- Comes with necessary hardware, pins, and bleeder screws
Benefits of Having High-Quality Brake Calipers
Brake calipers undeniably provide you several benefits of brakes in terms of safety as well as performance and reliability. To get the best out of it, try to have the brand new caliper. Otherwise, worn-out calipers may not provide you the service you want. Here are some of the benefits that brake caliper provides:
- Better Performance: Installing brand new brake calipers will enhance the overall performance of your ride regardless of SUV, car, or truck. Besides, they will provide a tighter and more secure contraction on the brake pads and allow them more grip on the brake rotors.
- Safety Measures: Brake calipers are proficient in ensuring more safety by providing more grip on the brake rotors. Worn-out brake calipers may not function effectively and will slow down your braking time. If you meet with a barrier, roadblock, or unwanted thing, you need to brake hard to avoid a collision. But if the brake fails to function properly at that time, then you may face a disaster.
- Safeguard Brake Pads: A good-quality brake caliper functions as a watchdog of the brake pad. It completely covers the pad and prevents any build-up of dust, grime, and dirt. As a consequence, brake pads can function smoothly and ensure improved performance.
- Ensuring Longevity: Installing a brand-new caliper will lengthen the lifespan of your braking system. The calipers, made of copper, metal, and dense ceramic, last the longest and wear down your brake discs, rotors, and pads at a slower rate.
Things to Consider Before Buying Brake Calipers
You will find brake calipers made from the most strong, and durable materials. There are many options available, but all offer the same features and benefits. They may be slightly more expensive due to the way they are made. Semi-metallic and fully-metallic brake calipers, for example, improve overall braking performance, durability, and longevity. They can be noisy and produce brake dust. Ceramic calipers are quieter than brake noise and more reliable, at a lower price.
A set of brake calipers should be able to withstand excessive braking. Although it’s difficult to determine how long they should last, they should last for thousands of miles. They have thick, metallic pistons that are powder coated to extend their life expectancy.
Types of Brake Calipers
When buying a brand new set for your brake system, you have to keep in mind that brake calipers are two types. One is Floating-type; another is fixed-type.
Floating-type calipers feature one or two brake caliper pistons on the inboard side of the rotor. Each piston thrusts the caliper as soon as the brakes are applied to create friction between the brake pads and both sides of the rotor. The calipers move in and out according to the rotor as well.
Fixed calipers are different compared to the first one. Their name suggests their functionality. They do not move, and instead, they have pistons arranged on opposite sides of the rotor. These are the most common and provide improved performance. However, they’re also more expensive. High-performance fixed calipers can also have more pistons.
New Vs Remanufactured (Brake Calipers)
A new caliper is a brand new product that has never been on the road. As a result, it has never experienced any corrosion or wears. If the new caliper can match OEM quality, it will fit and function as same as the original equipment caliper it replaces. The only downside is the cost. New calipers typically are more expensive than remanufactured calipers.
On the other hand, remanufactured brake calipers are not brand new. Rather they are reconstructed for further use. The old calipers are remanufactured to salvage from being worn-out. A remanufactured caliper from a reputed manufacturer can fit the OEM standard. Besides, the remanufactured calipers are less expensive compared to the new one.
So, if saving bucks is your priority at first hand, then go for remanufactured brake calipers. But, to taste the brand-new premium calipers, go for new brake calipers without hesitation.
Tips for Brake Calipers
You can take some steps to maintain your brake calipers. It is possible to extend the life expectancy of brake calipers, allowing them to last longer. You can also travel further and spend less money. Manual transmissions are required in this case. These are some things to remember:
- By anticipating every stop, you can increase the life expectancy of your high-end caliper brakes. The brakes will last longer if you stop before they wear down.
- You can decrease the stress on your brakes if you drive a manual vehicle. To slow down your vehicle, you can reduce the gear rather than braking hard. To avoid collisions, it is best to keep as much distance as possible between yourself and the vehicle in front.
- If you’re upgrading your calipers, it is worth replacing brake pads and rotors. This will make the whole system look new and improve its functionality.
Video Guide: How to Replace A Brake Caliper
How to Install Brake Calipers (Step-by-Step Process)
Brake calipers are usually made of strong and reliable materials, so you won’t have to put too much stress into installing them. If you’re not an expert, don’t attempt to replace the brake calipers yourself. These are some of the points you should be aware of. This will provide you with knowledge about the installation process.
01. To begin, lift the vehicle by using the axle and then remove the wheel.
02. If you plan to change the disc, the carrier must be removed. If you are only changing the caliper, you don’t have to remove the carrier.
03. Two bolts are used to attach the caliper to the carrier. These bolts usually have Allen heads that secure two sliding pins within the caliper’s body.
04. You can remove the Allen bolts to allow you to lift the disc. You may have to work with a prybar to get it off.
05. The pads will also pull out if you take off the caliper. Clips are often used to hold them in place.
06. You must ensure that the brake lines are removed from the caliper before you can remove them. To catch any brake fluid spilling out, you will need a container (do NOT get it on the paintwork).
07. After the new caliper has been installed, the piston can be pushed back into the cylinder using a pair or water pump pliers, G-clamps, or something similar. Rear pistons of the “wind-back” variety are usually pushed into the cylinder using a brake wind back tool. These are easy to use and affordable to buy.
08. The pads can be reattached to the caliper with any clips or pins and the carrier mounted.
09. Check that the caliper sliding bolts are in good condition and that they slide smoothly.
10. Turn the hub and ensure that the calipers are properly placed over the disc.
11. Once all bolts are secured, the brake line must be reattached and the caliper should be bled to remove any air.
12. Follow the normal bleeding process, either with a one-person or assisted bleed kit. Make sure you keep your brake fluid reservoir at the right level.
13. Before you refit or torque the wheel, make sure all bolts and nuts are at the correct level.
14. To bring the brake pad in contact with the disc, the pedal may require several “pumps”. Drive carefully to ensure proper brake function.
FAQ About Brake Calipers
- What is a brake caliper?
The brake caliper is the housing of your brake system. A brake system consists of three components: brake pad, brake rotor, brake caliper. Among them, the brake caliper plays an important role in the effective application of the brake.
- What is the best brake caliper?
Power Stop Performance Powder Coated Brake Caliper Set is the best brake caliper. Power Stop's brand of high-performance brake calipers features a set of two durable calipers. They have been 100 percent pressure-tested to prevent brake fluid leaks. They also include new components, so they are reliable and strong when under pressure.
- Are Callahan brake calipers any good?
Callahan's brake calipers feature a tough material to reduce noise and dust buildup on your brakes. As far as performance, they are a great improvement for your brake pads and help reduce the vehicle's stopping time. As for the downsides, there are a few to note about these calipers.
- Is it possible to replace only one brake caliper?
Yep, it is possible to replace only one brake caliper. But to get the best service and give it a premium look, try to change the rotors along with it.
- How long should a brake caliper last?
A brake caliper can last seven to ten years. After accomplishing 75,000 miles, you may consider changing or rebuilding the calipers.
- What causes a brake caliper to go bad?
However, a key reason for worn-out calipers stems from driving a vehicle on worn-out pads or warped rotors. Both prevent the system from dissipating the heat of friction, as they're designed to do, which can damage the calipers. The latter can result in brake failure.
- How do brake calipers work?
The front and rear brakes are attached to the wheel by a pair of caliper arms. When you press on your foot, these arms move inwards towards each other which causes them to squeeze together. This creates friction between the pads and rotor that slows down or stops the car.
- Are brake calipers universal?
No. Each car maker sets up their own specific specifications for the brakes, and each manufacturer will have a different set of instructions on how to install them. So you need to check your owner's manual or contact the vehicle supplier if in doubt about which calipers should be used. It is best not to use any other caliper than those supplied by the vehicle manufacturer as they are designed specifically for that model/make of car.
To speak of the whole, I conclude brake calipers are first and foremost for your vehicle’s effective stopping. For that reason, you need to make sure the calipers’ quality for superior performance and better lifespan.
We have undergone thorough research to introduce you to the best brake calipers available in the market. It will help you find your desired caliper among the list and save you some time and labor. Our short-list includes top-notch brake calipers out of several calipers in the market. Thus it guarantees you many years of reliable service. Enjoy the journey!