Since you are visiting this site, it is obvious that you are looking to figure out which is the best electrical wire that you can use in your house, building, or any other project that you need an electrical wire for. This journey begins with questions–how many types of electrical wire are there? Which type would be best suited for my project’s needs? Are certain brands better than others, even though they are the same type of wire?
Choosing the correct kind of wire is the first step to completing your project with any degree of success. You want to choose a wire that is a good conductor of electricity, and one that won’t short out or continually need to be replaced–which, depending on your usage could mean that you need copper or aluminum wires (used in homes and power cables) or silver (particularly sensitive to heat, so used in light switches and sensitive scientific instruments).
Below are our personal reviews of some of the most prominent electrical wire being used in households and other places today.
- 1 Best Electrical Wire
- 2 Top 10 Electrical Wire Comparison Table
- 3 Top 10 Best Electrical Wire Review 2021 [Updated List]
- 4 1. Romex 50 ft Black Stranded SIMpull NM-B Wirehttps
- 5 2. Southwire 50′ 10/3 with ground Romex brand SIMpull
- 6 3. GS Power 14 Gauge Copper Clad Aluminum Primary Cable
- 7 4. 16 GA Primary Wire 10 Roll Color Combo 100 ft per Color CCA Cable
- 8 5. Southwire residential indoor electrical wire type NM-Bh
- 9 6. 250-Ft Roll 12-2 AWG NM-B Gauge Indoor Electrical Copper
- 10 7. Southwire 55213443 100-Feet 12-Gauge 2 Conductor Cable
- 11 8. 14 Gauge 6 Roll CCA Primary Wire Combo 100 ft per roll, 600 feet total
- 12 Things to Consider to make sure you have the best electrical wire for the job
- 13 How Many cables do we need?
- 14 Do You Need to do cabling work outside?
- 15 What current do you need your cable to be able to cope with?
- 16 Do you need cabling in different colors?
- 17 Is your cable suitable for installing in a wall cavity?
- 18 How to Select Proper Wire, Wire Size, Wire current capacity [Video Review]
- 19 Share this:
- 20 Related
Best Electrical Wire
|Editor's Picks||Product||Brands||Our Rating|
|Best Overall||16 Gauge CCA Multi-Colored Primary Wire in 10 Color Assortment 100 feet Roll||GS Power||8.8|
|Runner Up||Southwire 63948422 50' 10/3 with ground Romex brand SIMpull residential indoor electrical wire type NM-B, Orange||Southwire||9.1|
|Best Budget Buy||Romex 63949232 50 ft. 8/3 Black Stranded CU SIMpull NM-B Wire||Romex||7.9|
|Best Value||12/2 NM-B, Non-Metallic, Sheathed Cable, Residential Indoor Wire, Equivalent to Romex (100FT Cut)||Stock Wire||8.5|
Luckily, one does not have to be an expert themselves amongst the different varieties and brands of wires–they just have to read this blog post.
Expert Recommended Product!
Top 10 Electrical Wire Comparison Table
|Product Name||Brand||Size & Details||Price|
|50 ft Black Stranded||Romex||Size: 50 ft, 8 gauge copper, 3 conductors with grounded Type NM-B wire 8/3G||Check on Amazon|
|50' 10/3 with ground||Southwire||Size: 10 AWG, 10 gauge, 3 conductors with ground, 50' per coil, Electrical & Heating; Electrical Replacement Parts||Check on Amazon|
|GS Power 14 Gauge Copper Cable||GS Power||Size: 14 Ga, 10 rolls of 14 Ga primary wires in 100 ft spool. Perfect for 12v DC Automotive||Check on Amazon|
|16 GA Primary Wire 10 Roll Color||GS Power||Size: 400, 600,1000 ft, 16GA | 4 Rolls | 100'/Rol, Stranded Copper Clad Aluminum CCA, For 12 V Automotive Signal||Check on Amazon|
|residential indoor wire||Southwire||Size:1-(Pack), 12 gauge, 3 conductors with ground, 100' per coil, Electrical & Heating; Electrical Replacement Parts;electrical-wires||Check on Amazon|
|250-Ft Roll 12-2 AWG NM-B||*||Size: 250-Ft, Non-Metallic Wire Gauge 12 AWG, Volt Rating 600, 3 Conductors,||Check on Amazon|
|Southwire 55213443 100-Feet 12-Gauge||Southwire||Size: 100 ft, Rated for temperatures from -40˚F to 140˚F, 2 Conductor 12/2 Low-Voltage||Check on Amazon|
|14 Gauge 6 Roll CCA Primary||GS Power||6 rolls,14 Ga wire in 100 ft spool. Perfect for 12 V Automotive, Car Radio Audio, Boat, Home Theater,||Check on Amazon|
|Southwire 28828222 50' 12/2||Southwire||Size: 50 ft, 12 gauge, 2 conductors with ground, 50' per coil, residential indoor electrical wire type NM-B||Check on Amazon|
|12/2 NM-B, Non-Metallic||Stock Wire||Size: 50, 100, 250 FT Cut, 20 Amps, Material Type Copper, 600-Volt Maximum with an Allowable Ampacity of 20 Amps,||Check on Amazon|
Top 10 Best Electrical Wire Review 2021 [Updated List]
1. Romex 50 ft Black Stranded SIMpull NM-B Wirehttps
This Romex cable is contained in the patented SIMpull Cable Jacket which makes for easier pulling, stripping, and installation. This is a very high-quality copper (anti-corrosive) cable which is made in America. It is ideal for use in residential wiring projects, in particular, branch circuits for outlets and switches. In residential applications it is not suitable for use above 40 amps, if you want to achieve more than 40 amps, you should purchase 6 gauge wire.
The Romex cable is a round cable with four conductors (white, black, red and bare ground), it is 8 gauge and comes in 50′ coils. The cable is not suitable for outdoor use unless you contain it in some conduits But it can be contained within cavity walls. It. It is not waterproof, but is splash-proof, so it offers some protection.
We used this cable to connect my service box to an RV outlet so I could charge my electric vehicle. It worked perfectly, though I did put it in a conduit to run it under paving slabs outside. We gave this cable to an electrician to set up an electric cooker and he didn’t complain. The main negative with this cable is the price, which varies considerably according to the latest price of copper.
- This is a high-quality cable made in the USA
- The cable is made from anti-corrosive copper wires
- We found this cable to be true to gauge, it says 8 gauge and that is exactly what you get
- It came in a 50′ coil, which gave us plenty of cable for our project
- We liked that this cable was easy to pull and manipulate
- The cable is expensive when compared with some of the other cables on the market today
- The cable is not suitable for outdoor use unless contained in conduit
#Watch This Video Review About Romex Wire Cable:
2. Southwire 50′ 10/3 with ground Romex brand SIMpull
This Southwire solid copper wire cable comes encased in the SIMpull Cable Jacket, which makes for easier pulling, stripping, and installation. This cable is ideal for use in residential wiring as branch circuits for outlets, switches, and other loads. This heavy gauge wire is great for 240v applications like powering an electric hot water tank, or certain other 240v residential applications up to 30 amps
The cable is 10 gauge, with four conductors (white, black, red and bare ground) and is 50′ per coil. It is a high-quality cable made in America, with a voltage rating for this cable is 600 volts. Given the high quality of this cable, it is very good value.
The cable is suited to most wiring projects around the home, stores, and shops and can be used for exposed and concealed work. It is suitable for running in masonry voids or tile walls, as long as the walls are not wet or damp.
- We liked the superior quality of this heavy gauge cable, made in the USA
- This cable is ideal for all 240v residential applications up to 30 Amps
- The cable has a great voltage rating of 600 volts
- We were pleased that this cable can be used in masonry voids
- This Southwire cable offers good value for money given its quality
- We felt that the sheath was more fragile than you might expect from a Southwire cable
- It is considerably more expensive than some other cables on the market
3. GS Power 14 Gauge Copper Clad Aluminum Primary Cable
This is a set of 10 rolls of 14 Ga primary cables in 100 ft spool. These cables are insulated and encased in different colored flexible jackets, which is useful for working on various projects. The Cables are Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA). CCA wires do not follow the American Wire Guage standard, so these cables are not suitable for the high current application. The wire is not anti-corrosive either, so the cables won’t last as long as some others on the market.
These cables are best suited to low current projects, such as installing 12v DC car radio speakers or a home theatre system. The cables are very inexpensive, however, they have very thin wire and it tends to be brittle and difficult to work with and almost impossible to crimp. Nevertheless, their low price makes them a good buy for projects where they won’t be subject to weather exposure or high current usage.
- The fact this comes in a ten pack means that you get a lot of cable for your money
- The 100ft spools are excellent for bigger jobs
- This is a very inexpensive cable
- The cable is perfect for low current applications, such as 12v DC projects. For example, installing a car radio
- The different colored jackets make them useful for working with
- The thin, brittle wire is susceptible to breaking which can make projects more difficult than they need to be
- These cables won’t last as well as copper wires, because they will eventually corrode
4. 16 GA Primary Wire 10 Roll Color Combo 100 ft per Color CCA Cable
16 GA Primary Wire is another best electrical cable brand in the industry. This pack of cables contains ten different colored rolls of 14GA cables in 100ft spools. The wires are single conductor copper clad aluminum which is insulated and inflexible PVC jackets. It is important to be aware that Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) wires are not recognized by the American Wire Gauge Standard (AWG). CCA wires are not corrosion resistant and are only suitable for low current applications.
The inexpensive cables are ideal for low current applications, such as 12v DC Automotive, car radio speakers, home theater kits and LED light wiring from 6 to 80 volts. These cables are made in China. They are only suitable for low voltage DC wiring and not for 220 V ac household wiring.
The cables are perfect for hobbyists or anyone who works on cars regularly. The cables are perfect for working on projects where they won’t be subject to weather exposure or high current usage. The multiple colors are excellent for keeping things neat and identifiable.
- This is a bumper pack of ten cables which will give you a great stock for your garage
- These cables represent excellent value for money
- The different colored cables are great for working with on a variety of projects
- These cables are great for working on automotive projects
- We liked these cables for installing LED lights
- These are Copper clad aluminum cables, so they are not recognized by AWG
- These GA primary wire cables are only suitable for low current applications
5. Southwire residential indoor electrical wire type NM-Bh
The top quality Southwire 12 gauge solid copper cable is Encased in the patented SIMpull Cable Jacket for easier pulling, stripping, and installation. It is quite possibly the best quality electrical cable on the market today. This cable has four conductors (white, black, red and bare ground) and is in a 100′ coil. This cable is best suited to residential wiring as branch circuits for outlets, switches, and other loads.
This is a very high-quality electrical cable, made in America. It is suitable for general wiring of homes, stores, and shops. This Southwire cable can be used for both exposed and concealed work in normally dry locations at temperatures which will not go over 90°C The cable can be installed in air voids of masonry block or tile walls, so long as they are not damp. The Voltage rating for the cable is 600 volts.
- This Southwire cable is a top quality multipurpose cable made in America
- The Southwire brand is one you can trust and is renowned for being reliable
- The 100′ coils are an excellent length for most cabling jobs
- This cable is suitable for installation in air voids of masonry or tiled walls
- The Southwire cable has a voltage rating of 600v
- This cable is amongst the most expensive on the market
- The Southwire cable is not suitable for installation in locations which frequently go above 90°C
6. 250-Ft Roll 12-2 AWG NM-B Gauge Indoor Electrical Copper
The Romex Simpull 12 Awg Non-metallic wire is used primarily in residential wiring as a branch circuit for switches, outlets and other loads. The cable can be passed through vents, air voids between masonry blocks or between the blocks for as long as those areas installed are free of moisture or water.
The cable is voltage rated 600 volts an indication of outstanding quality from the Southwire Company. The copper stranded wires are also annealed with soft copper and case with the unique Southwire SIMpull made for easier installation.
The wire comes with lengths of 250 ft long cable and a robust PVC jacket made of polyvinyl chloride and an amperes rating of 20 amps.
The non-metallic round wire has a gauge of 12 AWG and has 3 conductors including a yellow ground wire.
- This wire can withstand high external eat due to its polyvinyl chloride PVC coating
- The cable is long with lengths of up to 250 ft
- The wire is annealed with of copper to make it flexible and break resistant
- It is cased with SIMpull for easier installation. It has aground wire
- The wire has only 3 conductors as opposed to the 4 in most cables
7. Southwire 55213443 100-Feet 12-Gauge 2 Conductor Cable
The Southwire underground direct cable is specifically made for outdoor wiring requirements including landscape and underground cabling. It is UV rays sunlight resistant and is housed by a study black insulation jacket to prevent wear and tear.
The cable is also designed in a duplex flax construction that to promote easy lying down and prevent tearing of the wires during installation. There are also white and brown color options for cables that are to be exposed to the sun other than being buried. This cable is also ideal for indoor installation in places where there is slight exposure to sunlight.
The voltage option for the cabling is for light electricity requirements not exceeding 150 volts and features options for both aluminum and copper materials for a wide range of applications depending on your requirements.
The cable is UL listed, RoHS compliant and is green spec approved for environmental safety. It can stand temperatures of -40 degrees to 140 degrees and work optimally. It is ideal for path lighting, garden lighting, and low voltage outdoor lighting.
- The cable is ideal for outdoor installation
- It is made out of robust material that prevents tear
- It is made using UV resistant cable that makes it suitable for installation under sunlight
- The cable is long and can cover extended areas with over 100 ft length
- It is environmentally friendly
- The wire cannot hold a high capacity of electric current and is only limited to 150 volts
8. 14 Gauge 6 Roll CCA Primary Wire Combo 100 ft per roll, 600 feet total
The 14 GA wire comes in 6 rolls in 100 ft spool that comes in convenient packages and a range of colors. The combo set may come in a set of 4, 6 and 10 color rolls. It is insulated with light and flexible PVC coating which are clad with copper and aluminum material.
The wire is ideal for simple electric installations such as car stereo connections, trailer lights, LED strip lighting and other automotive wiring needs.
- The wire is flexible and can be coiled to pass through any space
- It comes with different color options
- It has a convenient packaging with spools that enable installation
- Perfect for low current connections
- The colors are fixed and cannot be interchanged
- The wire is easily corrosive and unfit for outdoor connections
Things to Consider to make sure you have the best electrical wire for the job
Now before you make the decision on which cable to buy, there are a few things to consider regarding quality and quantity. You have to ask yourself some questions and consider exactly what you want to use your cable for.
How Many cables do we need?
Before you decide to buy a cable, you need to decide on the length of the spool that you need to complete your job. The cables we rated all came in spools of 50′ or 100′. Most domestic jobs can be completed with 50′, but for some jobs, you will be better with the larger length.
Do You Need to do cabling work outside?
If you are using your cable for outdoor projects, you will probably need to invest in a conduit. None of the cables we tested were suitable for use outside unless they were contained in a conduit In our opinion it is still beneficial to use the better grade of the cable when installing within a conduit outdoors.
What current do you need your cable to be able to cope with?
The lower grade cables that we tested were only suitable for low current jobs. In general, for domestic jobs on the 220v ac circuit, you will need to invest in better quality cables. So if you are installing an air conditioning unit, it will pay dividends to use a high-quality cable.
Do you need cabling in different colors?
Some cables come in multipacks of different colors, which can be a real benefit on some projects, such as on automobiles, where you can match the cable colors to the original manufacturer cable work.
Is your cable suitable for installing in a wall cavity?
This is an important consideration for many domestic jobs. You should also check that your cable is suitable to deal with the temperatures that may be reached. When installing cabling in a wall cavity, you want to do the job properly, using the best cable available so that you do not need to do it again.
How to Select Proper Wire, Wire Size, Wire current capacity [Video Review]
Of this collection of cables, which one did we think was the highest performing and the best bang for your buck?
We felt that undoubtedly, the best quality electrical cable on the market was the Southwire residential indoor electrical wire type NM-B. Whilst this was also the most expensive cable we tested, it was superb quality. Whenever you are carrying out a cabling job, you only want to do it once, and the quality of the cable allows you to be sure that this is possible.
This was a versatile piece of kit, suitable for rewiring your home safely. The high-quality copper wire contained within the sheath means that you can be completely confident that your cabling work will stand the test of time.
The 12 gauge solid copper wire is contained within the high-quality sheath, it has a plentiful 100′ coil of cable, and a rating of 600 volts. This cable was our clear winner and we highly recommend it.