Every part of a vehicle is essential for smooth and pleasant driving. But an old wheel bearing can turn into a ghoulish nightmare for your journey if not replaced properly under strict supervision.
And low quality bearings can also bring oft-suffered disturbance for a carholic. So if you wanna change your car’s wheel bearing you should choose, to speak precisely, highly effective product that will last long and will give you smooth experience.
Timken is a well-known automobile and engineering company that has made his name through good service and considerable reputation. This article on Timken wheel bearing review will explore some of the best wheel bearings for your automobile.
- 1 [Feature Product]:
- 2 Timken SP500300
- 3 1. Timken SP580205
- 4 2. Timken 580310
- 5 Benefits of Timken Wheel Bearings
- 6 Key Features of Timken:
- 7 Pricing of Timken Wheel Bearing
- 8 Considering Factors before purchasing For Timken Wheel Bearing
- 9 Types of Bearing Timken Offers
- 10 3. Timken SP500300 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly
- 11 4. Timken SP580205 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly
- 12 5. Timken SP580310 Wheel Bearing
- 13 How to install Timken Wheel Bearing
- 14 STEP 1: Wheel Disassembly
- 15 STEP 2: Installing Cups and Lubricating
- 16 STEP: 3 Installing Hub Assembly
- 17 STEP 4: Bearing Adjustment
- 18 Frequently Asked Questions About Timken Wheel Bearing
- 19 Question: Which is better: Moog or Timken?
- 20 Question: Are Timken bearings made in China?
- 21 Question: How often should I replace my wheel bearing?
- 22 Question: Which is better: SKF or Timken?
- 23 Conclusion:
- 24 Share this:
- 25 Related
This is the most common wheel bearing of Timken and most sold bearing as well. It ensures less friction, ABS sensor, fuel economy. The smoothness and consistent performance is the signature feature of this bearing.
Pros: It is extremely lightweight and therefore easy to install. The steel quality is praiseworthy. Long time performance.
Cons: Not compatible with some models
1. Timken SP580205
Pros: Internal sensor for protection against unwanted guests. Compatible with most brands. Easier to install and sustain
Cons: Increased sound in long-term usage. A bit weighty.
2. Timken 580310
Summary: This is a third generation wheel bearing of mediocre quality. Though it is easy to maintain without anything, it works most if lubricants are used. It is stain resistant, flexible, and noise reductive.
Pros: This fits in most of the model without problem. This also has ABS sensor and it lasts longer than most of the bearing hub assembly.
Cons: Speed failure is found in some rare cases, though they were in long usage.
Benefits of Timken Wheel Bearings
- Smooth experience: The older and outdated bearings often give jerks and unstable movement. So, if you install a new Timken bearing instead of poorly manufactured one, your driving experience will be downright smooth.
- Less Noise: Any awful noise from your vehicle can disturb your peace of mind. Timken manufactures one of the best, if not the best, wheel bearings for automobiles. So definitely, the unwanted noises will be reduced manifold if you install Timken.
- Equable Steering: It is a crucial convenience that one should expect and get from his car. The steering should be balanced and equable both for enjoyment and safety. Timken has improved this necessity a lot.
However, Timken’s service is not limited to these only. They provide a number of conveniences and services in most of the Carholic countries.
Key Features of Timken:
There are a number of factors in Timken wheel bearing that should be taken into account first.
- It is lightweight compared to other brands. Nearly 20 percent weight is lesser; that means an extra chunk of speed.
- Not stick to conventional nuts and threads. Rather significantly easier to install without washers or other irritating components.
- Advance sensor installation for better performance.
- The stiffness of Timken provides a suitable brake system and decreases rotor runout.
- Incredibly designed with half of the components without losing the quality. Therefore, affordable prices offer lasting products.
- Timken meets the evolving, newer necessity of bearing, gear drives, motors and so on.
Pricing of Timken Wheel Bearing
- Under $150: Timken has several wheel bearings under 150 dollars like 513179 or SP550207. However, it should be remembered that bearings under 150 dollars are good, but they often lack the all components for a perfect installation. In such case, you need to buy extra parts.
- Up to $150: The cream of the crop or the best wheel bearings of Timken are usually over 150 dollars. But they provide hub assembly for smoother installation and any additional purchase is not necessary. And these bearings are highly recommended, reliable for longer life expectancy.
Considering Factors before purchasing For Timken Wheel Bearing
There are some vital factors that need to be considered and judged before buying a wheel bearing. You may buy the wrong product and waste your money for nothing. Therefore you need to be cautious. Here are some essential things you should know before buying.
- Car Model
Imagine you have bought a bearing spending a precious budget, but you find it to misfit your model of your car. Will it be a happy experience? Simply, no. So before you rush toward purchasing a bearing, make sure the particular part matches the model of your car. Also take into account the weight and the capacity of the automobiles. For instance, an SKF bearing is incompatible with a heavyweight truck. But Timken is quite compatible
Durability is also a significant factor for buying any product. Whereas some brands offer lower quality bearings that are easily decayed by water, Timken provides corrosion resisting hubs that ensure durability.
A quality material will yield a quality product. Most wheel bearings are made of steel and its alloy. But, some steel are less flexible and lower graded in the standard scale. You should check the material of the respective bearing and how much heavy use it can withstand. It is a nuisance, but will surely pay you in the long run.
- Price Evaluation:
Budget is always a crucial factor in the market. Companies always try to offer budget friendly products of optimum quality. You should check a wide variety of products within the budget range to pick one. If your demand meets a particular wheel bearing, you can buy it even if it costs a bit more. However, there should be a balance between the demand and the budget.
Types of Bearing Timken Offers
There are few types of bearing that are necessary for a wheel. Each bearing has distinctive tasks and motives. However, they all reduce the resulting friction and erosion between the rotating parts. Thus, the life expectancy of a wheel is crucially dependable on bearing. Here we’ll discuss four major types of bearings that Timken manufactures.
Ball bearing: This sort of bearings are widely used and undoubtedly the most common of all. It takes on thrust and radial load. The thrust load is the accumulated pressure on each corner; and the radial, on the contrary, is the direct pressure on the wheel. Ball bearings are so popular that they’re even used in roller skates.
Precision ball bearing: It is perhaps the most uncommon bearing among the mass since they’re only used in random racing cars and several Aeroplane wheels. It bears limited heat, limited friction without sacrificing quality rotating speed. They are mostly suitable for intensified usage and greater speed automobiles.
Roller bearing: Like ball, roller bearing is also a widely known product. But they are mostly suitable to withstand against the direct pressure of the wheel, not the thrust pressure. They are used in grocery carts and other vehicles.
Tapered roller bearing: With the reduction of friction, Tapered roller bearings allow you to corner with maximum thrust load. In turning points, the wheel faces grinding and friction in different angles; tapered rollers make it easier to do. Tapered rollers are found in most standardized cars and automobiles.
Now we shall explore the 3 best Timken wheel bearings available in the market. This evaluation is based on our own research, judgement and customer reviews.
3. Timken SP500300 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly
With the staggering quality, Timken SP500300 increases the car’s performance at its best. Since it is made from hard and solid metal, the friction is supposed to be greater. Yet, the two orbs rarely connect with any area, so the interaction becomes smooth and frictionless.
Timken SP500300 offers ABS sensor and three bolt flange. So the speed monitoring becomes easier and effective. Interestingly enough, this bearing fits almost all the conventional cars without exception.
The installation and changing process of Timken is always easier and swift. Most of the Timken products are lightweight and durable with precise control. It means you shall get unprecedented access and command over your car, in different driving situations.
- 9.4″×8.9″×6.1″ HWD dimensions
- Weigh only 13.2 pounds
- Steel alloy for improved quality
- Internal components are shielded and protected
- A decade long service
- Long life expectancy (around 100k miles)
- Perfectly fitted
- Effective in several driving system
- Reasonable price
- ABS sensor and monitoring
- Not universal assembly
- Short period of warranty compared to Moog or SKF
4. Timken SP580205 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly
This is another affordable bearing by Timken with optimum quality. It also provides ABS sensor with considerable wheel rotation.
Interestingly, it is not necessary to clean SP580205 frequently. Dirts and other damaging components are shielded through its stiff and hard material.
This is known as a standard bearing for most sorts of automobiles. It comes with an internal sensor that wards off any dirt, corrosion and thermal shock as well. Timken SP580205 fits both early and latest Ford. Unlike ECCPP wheel bearings, the installation procedure of Timken is quite easy.
- 9.4×9.4×8.7 HLW dimensions
- Weigh 23.8 pounds
- No loose steering issue
- Fine thread and lug nuts
- Chinese origin; yet sustainable
- Internal sensor for protection
- Corrosion and shock resistant
- Longer mile coverage
- Reasonable pricing
- You need compatible lug nuts for installation
- Noise level rises in long term usage
5. Timken SP580310 Wheel Bearing
This is another fine bearing of Timken, a highly recommended one for cars. Though Timken manufactures similar wheel bearings, some of their products are extraordinarily unique. This bearing falls under such category.
Timken SP580310 is made of high quality steel; and the steel is stain and abrasion resistant. This is considered to be flexible in most vehicles without creating nuisance.
As we have pointed out earlier, the installation process needs no professional or expert; rather a layman with preliminary knowledge of bearing installation can do that. It falls under the third generation wheel system, ensuring stiff and braking performance.
- 8.63×8.63×5.19 dimensions
- Weigh only 18.09 pounds
- Generation 3 sensing technology
- Stain resistant
- Work best with synthetic oil
- Easy maintenance
- Low level of noise and vibration
- ABS sensor for monitoring
- Universally fit
- Longer period of use
- Some faced issues like speed failure.
- Sometimes, the package is damaged during shipping
How to install Timken Wheel Bearing
Installation and removal of parts is of maximum importance for any kind of vehicle. It minimizes the risk of sudden, abrupt failure of speed. Timken provides basic guidelines in their website to give their customers a glimpse of their services. Here we come up with a step by step basic installation process for your convenience.
STEP 1: Wheel Disassembly
Every product manufacturer provides a removal guide. Follow the procedure and remove the respective tire and wheel assembly. Then clean out the hub, rotors, and outer bearing with kerosine type substance. All prior used lubricants should be cleared up to make way for the new one.
STEP 2: Installing Cups and Lubricating
To place the rotor or hub solidly on the assembly, use a cup driver or milder bar made of steel. Don’t damage the surface of the cup in haste.
Then coat the inner cone with grease, preferably mechanical grease. Force the grease into the cage, cones and rollers. Fill the both cups and their cavities also. Never make the mistake of forgetting the grease seal to install. These coatings of grease are necessary for lessening the friction.
STEP: 3 Installing Hub Assembly
Put the hub assembly over the previously installed spindle. Don’t damage the grease seal in the process. Coat the outer cone of the bearing with grease and install it. Also install the washer, and adjacent nuts in the necessary place.
STEP 4: Bearing Adjustment
Now you need a torque wrench. Probably you have one in your repertoire. Now tighten all the nuts with this tool while running the hub approximately at 50lbs. Don’t tighten it to the breaking point. Now seal the nuts with newly bought cotter pins. Before you finish your job, check and recheck multiple times if all the components are in the proper place or not.
However, you should remember that it is just a simple and quick guideline for such a huge job. It is better to take help from a professional mechanic; otherwise, everything can be messed up. You can also take help from Timken official website for this tedious procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions About Timken Wheel Bearing
Question: Which is better: Moog or Timken?
Answer: Timken has proven its worth over decade long service. It makes a balance between price and quality. On the contrary, Moog is best and well known for its long warranty of three years.
Question: Are Timken bearings made in China?
Answer: It is a general norm that Timkeks are made in China. But the fact is most of the Timken bearings are manufactured in USA today, though some of their plants have literally shut down in recent years.
Question: How often should I replace my wheel bearing?
Answer: This is a oft-asked question of the car owners. To speak frankly, you don’t need to worry about 80,000 mile coverage. But after that the service may be dropping. And after 1 lakh mileage, it is important to replace the bearing. It’s a good lifespan, isn’t it?
Question: How do I know whether my wheel bearing needs replacement or not?
Answer: It can be determined by the noise outcome of your vehicle. After a certain period of use, some sort of grinding sound or vibration will come out from your car or truck; and the wheel will not give the same smooth wheel movement. It may be a sign for you to replace the wheel bearing.
Question: Which is better: SKF or Timken?
Answer: It is an accepted phenomenon that Timken bearings are better than SKF. SKF bearings are good for lightweight vehicles and easier to replace. Yet, Timken wins the race with its consistency and performance.
It is always a must to check the compatibility of any product with your car. Many later complain that this particular product doesn’t go with my model. So before buying you should ensure compatibility.
There is no question about the superiority of Timken in the automobile marketplace. They offer the best wheel bearings at an affordable range. In this Timken wheel bearing review, we have picked up the best 3 bearings for your car.
Now it’s your turn to pick and choose the suitable one. Note that Timken can serve you for a long time. Even if you consider it to be pricey, you will find your driving experience spicy.